If at any point you have researched cloud hosted learning management systems, there’s a good chance you’ve come across both Moodle LMS, and Totara LMS. Moodle LMS is the world’s most popular learning management system, with over 85 million users across the globe. Totara LMS was built off of Moodle’s foundation, with extended elearning features designed for enterprise clients. While Totara has recently parted ways with Moodle, they still share many similarities. With such a common platform, how do you know which one is right for you? We’re here to help you, with a categorized full feature comparisons of the two. The categories are Course Creation, User Management, Mobile, Ecommerce, Standard Reporting, and Standard Integrations.
Course Creation LMS Features:
- Features Available in Moodle LMS and Totara LMS: Learning Outcomes, Course Curriculum Learning Paths with restrictive access, Activity and Course Completion criteria, Discussion Forums, Badges, Polling, SCORM, Assignments (Online, File Upload, Offline), File Uploads (PDF, Doc, PPT, Media), Online Content Authoring with a Rich Content Editor, Survey/Feedback, Face-to-Face Bookings, Collaborative Learning (wiki, workshops, database, glossary, chat), Quizzing, Learning Plans, Face-to-Face, Web Conferencing (Plugin/Add-on service), Media Streaming Library (Plugin/Add-on service)
- Features Available just in Totara LMS: Programs, Program Certifications, Recertification Paths, Program Sequential Course Sets, User Learning Plans, Performance Management
User Management LMS Features:
- Features Available in Moodle LMS and Totara LMS: Profiles, Roles and Permissions, Calendars, Notifications (email, online, alerts), Course Enrollment, Site-Wide Dynamic Groups, Single Sign-On
- Features Available just Totara LMS: Manager to Learner Relationship, Learner Appraisals/Reviews, 360 Feedback, Organization Structure and Hierarchy, Position - Hierarchy, HR Import, Competencies,
Standard Integration LMS Features:
- Features Available in Moodle LMS and Totara LMS: LDAP/AD Integration, LTI, Standard Repositories (Equella, Google Drive Alfresco, Flickr, Dropbox, Picasa, Wikimedia).
Ecommerce LMS Features:
- Features Available in both Moodle LMS and Totara LMS: Course Shopping Cart (This is a Plugin/Add-on service for both Moodle and Totara)
Standard Reporting LMS Features:
- Features Available in both Moodle LMS and Totara LMS: Online Gradebook, Activity and Course Completion, User Transcripts, Zoola Analytics
Mobile LMS Features:
- Features Available in both Moodle LMS and Totara LMS: Mobile Support
Looking for a more in-depth comparison between Moodle LMS and Totara LMS? Register for our upcoming webinar, Moodle or Totara LMS - Which LMS is Right For You? We'll show you a full-feature comparison between the two learning management systems.